The Batavia Interfaith Food pantry depends on committed volunteers from churches in our area and from within our community to meet the Pantry’s mission of ending hunger in our community.
Sign up below using the Food Donation Processing and Stocking button.
Children age 10-15 may volunteer when accompanied by a parent or supervising adult.
To volunteer for a specific opportunity, click on the corresponding button to the right.
CLIENT SHOPPING SUPPORT (CSS) Volunteer CSS
Mondays: 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Tuesdays: 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Thursdays: 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Fridays: 9:30 – 12:30 p.m.
Saturdays: 9:30a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Volunteers assist clients making selections, carry-out groceries, and help as needed. For these volunteer shifts it is important to arrive on time to be assigned areas to work and stay the entire shift.
Thursdays: 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Volunteers assist clients by bagging their items and help as needed.
FOOD DONATION PROCESSING AND STOCKING (WS) Volunteer WS
Tuesdays: 9:00 – 11:30 a.m.
Wednesdays: 8:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Thursdays: 7:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Fridays: 8:30 – 10:00 a.m. (driver support position 8:30- 12:00)
On Thursdays, volunteers help unload the pallets of food received from Northern IL Food Bank and stock the shelves. Other times unload a van from donation pick-up, stock shelves, recycle cardboard boxes, sort bakery, vegetables, and fruit. Check expiration dates on donations.
PACKING FOOD FOR HOME DELIVERIES & DRIVERS
Pack food the Wednesday following the 1st Friday of the month
Deliver food the following date at 9:00 a.m.
Pick and pack food orders for clients that are not able to come to the food pantry. Orders are delivered to the clients the following day.
GENERAL HELP FOR THE PANTRY
- Working as Food Sorters and Stockers
- Assisting in Food Delivery
- Registering Clients
- Acting as Food Drive Event Coordinators and Assistants
- Working as Client Choice Assistants
- Helping during our spring and fall Food Drives
- Planting a row (share your extra garden vegetables)
- Plant and maintain the landscaping around the pantry
- Earning Service Hours
- Join a Committee
- Input Data
- Write “Thank You” letters and more …
If you have questions not answered feel free to Contact Us .
Guidelines for Volunteers
- Volunteers should arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled opening of the Pantry to be assigned areas to work.
- Volunteers can enter through the double doors and proceed to the front desk area.
- Coats and personal belongings should be hung in designated areas by the front desk or left in the car. The Food Pantry is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Volunteers are to wear red aprons with a nametag.
- The Pantry staff will assign areas to work helping assist Clients.
- Anyone who is a first time volunteer, please inform regular Pantry workers for an informative tour and orientation.
- Anyone needing hours to be recorded, please check in with appropriate Pantry workers. Please ask for times that are available for service hours. It is expected that service workers will stay until the Pantry closes.
- Volunteers may assist clients with taking food out to their cars.
- Volunteers may need to stay beyond the scheduled time to assist clients, straighten up or stock shelves.
- Volunteers need to notify us of conflicts if they need to leave early or have any physical restrictions.
- We request that there is no eating or drinking in the Pantry area.
- The Pantry needs to be a safe place for everyone. Rude and insubordinate behavior will not be tolerated.
- Any issues or questions that arise should be addressed to the Pantry Director, or designated Pantry worker.
- Children/young adults under the age of 16 need to be accompanied by an adult.
- All Client information is to be kept confidential.